Still confused on how to prepare healthy sandwiches? Whenever you are in a hurry in the morning or want to enjoy a quick and tasty lunch, sandwiches are always a good choice. Filled simply with vegetables of your choice, cheeses, poached egg, or some flavourful pulled chicken they are the perfect meal for you or your kids. The pulled chicken hot bun remains my favorite of all times for my lunch or dinner.
Grilled Zucchini Sandwich
- 1 Medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 Ciabatta rolls, toasted
- 1 Medium tomato, sliced
- 6 Ounces fresh mozzarella
- Olive oil
- 1 Garlic clove
- 8 Large basil leaves
- 2 Teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Ground pepper
- In a large grill or grill pan, place sliced zucchini. Spread some olive oil and leave 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they are tender. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Leave aside.
- Cut in half ciabatta rolls and brush with some olive oil. Now top with zucchini, mozzarella, tomato and basil leaves.
- Place the sandwiches on the grill again for 2-3 minutes or until mozzarella is melted.
Pulled Chicken Hot Bun
- 2 Chicken breast shredded
- 4 Mini buns
- 4 Sliced dill pickles
- 1/2 Tsp paprika
- 1/2 Tsp onion powder
- 1/2 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 Tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 Tsp mustard powder
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/2 Cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- In a small pan, on medium heat combine all the ingredients together, simmering frequently for around 2-3 minutes, and remove when it becomes thick.
- Add the chicken to the mixture and leave for another 2 minutes. Toss well and remove from heat.
- Half the buns and add 2 tablespoons of chicken mixture on each of them. Top with 1 pickle each and top half of bun.
- This amazing sandwich is now ready to enjoy.
NOTE: If you prefer the bun hot as well, put it in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
Hummus and Grilled Veggie Wrap
- 1 Red pepper, quartered
- 1 Eggplant, cut into thin slices
- 4 Slices red onion
- 1 Pack of humous
- 4 Whole-grain flatbreads
- 1/2 Cup feta cheese
- 1/4 Cup flat leaf parsley
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Heat the grill or a large grill pan. Brush onions, eggplants, and peppers with olive oil.
- Place first onions and peppers on the grill and leave for 4-5 minutes or until they become tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add eggplants and leave for another 3-4 minutes until the grill marks appear. Remove from heat.
- Chop all the vegetables and in a medium bowl, combine them all. Sprinkle with some salt, olive oil, and chopped parsley.
- Now spread the hummus over the flatbread and top with the vegetables. Add two tablespoon of feta cheese. Roll the wraps up and cut diagonally.
Arugula, Ricotta and Egg Open Sandwich
- 4 Slices whole wheat bread
- 4 Large eggs
- 3/4 Cup Ricotta
- 2 Cups arugula ( or any other green leaf)
- 1/4 Grated Parmigiano
- Olive oil
- 1 Tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- Ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine arugula leaves, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Toss well.
- Meanwhile, put a saucepan over medium heat with boiling water. Add the eggs for 2-3 minutes and remove. I prefer to do the eggs poached instead of fried as they are much more healthy.
- Turn the grill on and grill the bread slices. When they are ready, put on the serving plate.
- Combine ricotta with thyme, Parmigiano, and some salt. Spread over the grilled bread slices.
- Top with arugula and the egg. Sprinkle with some salt and ground black pepper.
NOTE: I prefer to sprinkle with paprika as well. If you want an omega-3 boost, add some pumpkin seeds as well.
Fresh Fig, Manchego Cheese, and Prosciutto Sandwich.
- 8 Slices Italian bread, toasted
- 1 Cup Arugula
- 2 Ounces prosciutto, sliced
- 2 Ounces Manchego cheese
- 8 Fresh figs, sliced
- 4 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoon fig jam
- Spread the Dijon mustard on each of the toasted bread slices and top with arugula.
- Add the prosciutto, Manchego cheese, and fig slices.
- Spread the fig jam on the 4 bread slices.
- Now top each of them with 1 bread slice, jam side down.
- This super tasty sweet and savory sandwich is ready to enjoy.http://Healthy Sandwiches