Craving some Fish and Chips or a delicious steak? I have recreated 5 famous restaurant recipes you can make at home whenever you want at a very low cost.
Fish and Chips
Fish and Chips is a Classic British favorite recipe. You can cook it perfectly at home with a very low cost compared to restaurants.
Home Cost: Approximately £ 4 per serving / Restaurant Cost: £ 8.50 per serving
- 400 gr Frozen fish ( Cod ) or fresh fillets
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup of sparkling water
- 1/2 Cup of beer
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Litre sunflower oil, for frying
- 300 gr potatoes
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- Ground black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon of paprika
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and gently pour the flour, sparkling water and beer. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and mix well with a wooden spoon until we have a smooth, lump-free batter.
- Preheat oven to 200 C. In a large saucepan of boiling water, add the chipped potatoes for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and drain well. Place into a baking tray and tip with salt, oil, and flour and mix well. Nake for 20-30 minutes until crispy gold.
- Meanwhile, in a deep saucepan, add 1 liter of oil. Pat dry the fish fillets with a kitchen paper and then deep in the batter mixture.
- Now put the fish fillets, carefully into the hot oil and fry for 5-8 minutes, until crispy gold.
- Prepare the paprika mayo by blending 1 teaspoon of paprika in the mayo cup.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the fish from oil and drain into a kitchen paper.
- Serve with chips and paprika mayo.
Vina’s Tip: If you want to go for a quicker alternative, just put into an oven dish, a package of chunky ready peeled chips. Anyway, I like to prepare them by myself.
This remains my husband favorite of all times. Who would say no to a juicy, cheese melted burger with some crispy chips on the side? High in calories but is fine as far as you don’t consume it too often. I usually prepare once a month for my family and this homemade burger is much healthier and tasteful than the restaurant ones.
Home Cost: Approximately £ 4.20 per Serving / Restaurant Cost: Approximately £ 11.5 per Serving
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- 4 British Beefburgers
- 8 Cheddar cheese slices
- 1 Large tomato, sliced
- 4 Tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 4 Teaspoons of mustard
- 1 Medium onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- 4 Gherkins, sliced
- 2 Teaspoons Tabasco ( Optional)
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Place a deep pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the beef burgers and fry for 5-8 minutes or until brown.
- Meanwhile, cut in half the hamburger buns and spread some mayo on the bottom side. Place the beef burger and 2 slices of cheddar cheese. Place in oven for 4 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Remove from oven and top with sliced gherkins, onion rings, 1 slice of tomato, a pinch of tabasco and a splash of mustard.
- Put the top half of the bun and place in oven for 2 more minutes.
- Turn off the oven and this super delicious burger is ready.
- Serve with some hot chips on the side.
Vina’s Tip: If you like, you can add some lettuce, bacon or mushrooms.
Steak with Asparagus and Red Wine Sauce
Home Cost: Approximately £ 9.50 per Serving / Restaurant Cost: Approximately £ 25 per Serving
- 150 gr Sirloin steak
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Beef seasoning
- Ground black pepper
- 1 Bunch of asparaguses
- 1/2 Cup red wine
- Start by seasoning the steak on both sides with salt, ground black pepper, and beef seasoning. Leave aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the asparagus, by cutting the ends of each spear.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Add the steak and the asparagus on the side. Do not move the steak for 3 minutes as this will create a nice sear. Turn the steak over for another 3-4 minutes, for medium rare.
- Remove steak and asparagus from heat and combine on the serving plate. Do not remove the pan from heat as we need it to prepare the gravy.
- Add 1/2 cup of red wine to the pan and 1/2 – 1 Tbsp of flour. Toss quickly for 2-3 minutes until it becomes a thick dark paste. Pour over the steak.
Parpadelle with Lamb Ragu
Home Cost: Approximately £ 8 per Serving / Restaurant Cost: Approximately £ 14 per Serving
- 250 gr Minced lamb
- 1 Large onion, finely chopped
- 1 Medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 Celery Stalk, finely chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 200 gr Canned tomatoes
- 1 Cup red wine
- 500 gr Fresh pappardelle pasta
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp rosemary
- 1 Tbsp Thyme
- Ground black pepper
- 1/2 Cup grated parmesan
- Put a large saucepan of salted water, to boil for pasta.
- Meanwhile, on a frying pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter and oil and add the chopped onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes and then add the minced lamb. Break up with a wooden spoon and cook for 5 minutes until starts to brown.
- Pour in the finely chopped carrots, celery stalks, and canned tomatoes. Season with rosemary, thyme, salt and ground black pepper. Toss everything well and fry until all the juices have run out.
- Pour 1 cup of red wine and when is almost reduced add 2 cups of water and the chicken stock.
- Cover with a lid, turn the heat down and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Now pour the pasta into the boiling water and cook for7-8 minutes until ‘al dente’.
- When pasta is ready, save 1/3 cup of its water. Now drain pasta well and mix into the sauce. Add the reserved water, parmesan cheese and toss to combine.
- Serve onto plates and enjoy.
Cod with Honey and Champagne
Home Cost: Approximately £ 11 per Serving / Restaurant Cost: Approximately £ 23 per Serving
For the fish
- 500 gr Cod Fish fillets
- 4-5 Spring onions
- 1-2 Tablespoon honey
- Soy Sauce for brushing
- 1 Tablespoon chopped chives
- 4-5 Berries
For the sauce
- 200 ml Champagne
- 20 gr Fluor
- 150 gr Mirin rice wine
- 50 gr Butter
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan, melt the butter and pour the mirin, champagne, and salt. Bring to a boil and add the flour, stirring continuously until the sauce becomes smooth.
- On a baking tray, brush the cod with soy sauce and place skin down. Arrange spring onions and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove cod from oven and brush with honey. Bake again until gold.
- Arrange some salad leaves on the serving plate and put the fish on top.
- Pour the champagne sauce and decorate with berries and chives.